View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #159 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Redneck: thanks for another fun ecomodding adventure story.

When you say you try to travel near the posted limit, what was that on the route you took?

60 to 70 mph.

Tom Tom says the distance is 865 miles point to point and should take 13.2 hrs drive time. I assume that is at the posted speed limit.

My odometer said 867.77 miles and 12.91 engine run hrs. less EOC time, which should be roughly the difference. (I seem to have a small odo discrepancy)

When I leave, I top off right next to the Interstate. Then when I arrive, I fill up about 3-4 miles from the Interstate. So it's all Interstate driving.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad
Forgive me if this has been asked, but how do you use the hatchback area with that extension in place? Didn't you remove the utility of the vehicle? I don't want to discourage the effort, but Its a trade off I would not have been willing to make,
Quote:
aerohead

You might want to consider these projects as aerodynamic proof-of-concept exercises.
'Utility' can require a quantum leap as far as fabrication requirements go.If the mpg benefits suggested by the original device merit additional investment,then we've at least got a known quantity to incentivize the extra effort.
'bondo' could give us an idea of what an OEM quality production tail, with full utility would set us back.He's been going down that road.
Personally,I'm willing to put up with extreme hardship just to see whether this crazy stuff works or not.

Bingo...

>

Last edited by redneck; 05-23-2015 at 07:31 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-20-2015), MetroMPG (05-20-2015), MobilOne (05-30-2015)