View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
did you have a friend ride along?

do you think a boat tail will do much,for you even with the low speeds you drive and the Aero already in place?
My brother rode along and took time for me. He started the timer @ 55 mph and would say 8...9...10. At the 10 I would call out my speed and he would record it.

I definitely think a full boat tail will help. 0.269 Cd is still not considered low drag to me, even with my numbers approaching Prius territory. I want <.20 Cd and I am discussing with Aerohead about getting the ZX2 to 0.15.

A lot of my work has been quick and sloppy, honestly. I want to go back and refine all I can with better materials and with greater precision. My rear belly pan does not have the correct angle for the lowest drag and I need a middle section pan.

My biggest gains are going to come from the engine and transmission. The ZX2 is too deeply geared IMO to maximize the potential of a low Cd. The load on the motor will have to increase in order to reach a maximum BSFC, and I have three ideas regarding how to get there: Higher gears, lean burn w/ turbocharging and having an late intake opening (think Atkinson cycle).

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr