View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
bondvagabond
EcoModding Apprentice

vandle - '93 Ford E-350 Xlt
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I think you've already made your goal. The age of the vehicle calls for new wiring, rubber replacement (from windows to suspension to body bushings), brake lines, etc. The reliability of the van is more to the point. I've owned plenty of old cars and FE is not the primary ownership cost. Especially at that purchase price.

Careful tire choice, axle and wheel bearings plus brake performance and replacing worn out steering would be highest on my list. Vans tend to be run hard and not cared for. "Economy" for most Americans is in doing no maintenance at all.

Can't wait to hear what shape the fuel tank is in (said with the patience of been there and done that). Your other posts indicate familiarity with mech issues, so I'd be more concerned over defining how this van is supposed to pay its way. An impulse buy, or filling a genuine need?
I was recently had to close the doors of my business doing custom diesel conversions on classic cars, due to my multiple sclerosis symptoms worsening. I never would have made it through the last couple builds without my apprentice there to catch me on some of the easy mistakes I was making.

This build is towards making a vehicle that could have a wheel chair lift if I loose my mobility, while still getting excellent fuel milage. The time to build it will be before that happens. It is used to haul materials for building the tiny house my wife and I will be living in, a lot of which is dumpstered. The fuel tank is great, will be adding a second like I said instead of a lowering kit and to help store my free wvo.

Mad max would have driven a metro
The Following User Says Thank You to bondvagabond For This Useful Post:
slowmover (06-20-2015)