View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #408 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygirl View Post
CJ,
I can relate. Bridget is on her third clutch and the trans comes out the same way, as a unit with the engine. I have been dreaming of Samurai transmissions of late. they are small and divorced from the transfer case. 5 th gear is an overdrive. In my case a shorter transmission would allow room for a divorced overdrive behind the trans. Maybe we could develop the adapter as an open source team effort. Give it some thought if your crashbox is beyond hope. Lets pray to the Triumph god its not.
RG
Lol and Welcome back rustygirl! The transmission has taken a mild hit but it's not terminal. Layshaft, bearings, and a couple of odds-n-ends and good as new it will be! It was used and I more or less threw it in there figuring it was just going to be a lead weight. It's outlived and outperformed my initial expectations - so it's worth reviving.
Your dreams of the Samurai transmission sound intriguing for sure! Any idea of the overdrive % ? Do you have one or are you batting the idea around? Are they any easier to work with at night with a led flashlight strapped to the forehead - if so - I'd like to hear more -
Keep us posted!
~CrazyJerry