View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
You might want to look up some old SAE papers, that discuss cylinder head shape, spark plug location, squish angle, and so on.

The squish angle is something that can direct the charge from the outer cylinder wall area towards the spark plug when the gap gets tight.

When I was really interested in two stroke engines, Gordon Jennings from Cycle magazine was a great source for this type of research.

Yamaha submitted numerous papers on cylinder head squish bands, and Mcculloch (chainsaws) posted a paper or two on two-stroke squish bands as well.

There was a series of research papers from a professor at a Belfast University that was using computer modelling to predict engine tuning characteristics back in the 1970's, and years later I came across another research paper that showed he was selling a computer model to large companies for modeling the same topic. I don't know if this is something that would help you? The software might be very expensive now.

I do remember coming across one research paper that utilized 17 very small spark plugs in one cylinder! Haven't looked at those in years, but it might lead you down some different paths in your noble quest!

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 06-15-2015 at 01:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-16-2015)