View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #420 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Another thing I noticed while looking at my Centurions undercarriage today was just how much potential there is for a deeper trunk space with the rear exhaust and muffler delete. Extending that down and shaping it aerodynamically would help MPG potential I think. You could also create attachment points for the mid area panels to attach this would make for a cleaner and smoother look.

CJ do you think there would be any negatives to exiting underneath the vehicle vs to the side with a shorty exhaust?
Well, on the first point (rear tray) the one on mine isn't going downward much more than it is right now. There's not a clear path to lower the floor of it like yours may have. Instead, there is a very sturdy battery tray back there:
-

-
-

-
-
And lastly, looking up from underneath:
-

-
Not knowing how the overall weight distribution would translate to real world driving I decided to leave that piece in place.
-
-
Good question about the exhaust GreenHornet. I'll bet there are plenty of ideas bouncing around about this. In the quest to eliminate the full exhaust system, I did have an undercar exit as you suggest. This didn't last long - me personally - I hated it.
-
The main reason was the resonant noise from the sound waves bouncing off the road and through the various cavities under the car. The cabin noise wasn't deafening - it just had an undesirable tone, and with no real sound deadener to muffle it, well, it had to be routed elsewhere. To ensure the exhaust was not the low point under the car meant the pipe ended at least level with the boxed frame members upfront. A similar scenario played out when the exhaust exited in the front wheel well itself, and I hated that too.
-
Victory was achieved once I got out just past the lower fender - and from in the cockpit, it was like a symphony to my ears (but it still may not be for everyone.)
-
~CrazyJerry

-

-

-
-

===

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
Xist (06-16-2015)