View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 05:10 AM   #52 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Just make sure the AC unit isn't demanding too clean a wave of power. Cheap inverters make do with a so-called "modified sine" output wave, which is to say it sort-of approximates clean alternating current with stepped voltages. The earliest inverters provided square wave output, which could be hell on electronics like TVs and stereos, though motors didn't mind it much.

The quality of the power shouldn't affect your AC unit too badly but it may play up your control electronics. If your AC unit is using mechanical controls, all is well. Otherwise you may need to consider other options.

That Cool Blue thing, with the inverter the manufacturer recommended, may be a better bet since they seem to have already determined the inverter choice is a good one.
The issue aside from the high cost of the cool blue inverter is that it is designed for electric vehicles with 120-144 VDC battery packs. The unit does run a modified sine wave and runs at 2000 watts continuous and has a 4000watts surge. The unit weighs around 3lbs so pretty light weight and it is also very compact. My goal will be to find something with similar specs that will work with my 12VDC system.

The Aims unit weighs in around 8lbs and can handle 3500 watts surge so not to bad for the cost. I just want to try to find something that weighs less but has a comparable surge output