View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #404 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update 6/17/15: Sparco Seat + "Auxiliary Table" Install (Part One)

Sorry for the lack of updates of late. Life is really screaming by of late...

So, I ordered a set of Ebay brackets. They came in, and seem to be (surprisingly) decent quality. For the price, I figured I'd give them a shot. The metal, alone, would have cost me more.

However, they didn't fit the Sparco bolt holes. So, got some thick steel, some Grade 10 (some is actually higher grade) bolts in Troutman, NC, and got to work making a solution. Pics below tell the story.

I placed the seat on top of the set-up above, and used a curved-tip pick (pictured below) to carefuly lift off the seat at each corner and make a scratch on the tape where the bolts holes should go. Obviously, I tested to find the best location for the seat before making the scratches. Once I "picked" out the bolt hole locations, I then marked and drilled my holes. Real easy-peasy.

Then added super-strong hardware: bolts, washers, crush washers, and even a super big lug nut was included (solely to serve as a spacer). Final assembly will also include blue Loctite.

Test fit= Perfecto! Not too far up, just the right distance for me from the steering wheel.

And oh, oh, so perfectly LOW! Very happy with the fitment.

I love the fact that this seat has a quick-collapse bar in the rear. Very cool.

Now, the brackets only came as a pair. Pair was $50. Seller would not just sell the Drivers side bracket. So, I had to do something with the other. I got a little bit creative, and decided to use the Passenger's side bracket to handle an issue I've had with the car since day one. I'm sure any EG owner can resonate!

Not only will the "Auxiliary Table" serve as a new, and MUCH improved cup holder for my EG, but it will also host a triple power port (with eco-Green LED's to match the theme), and I will be adding a holder to host a quart of spare motor oil.

No one ever rides with me. When they do, I'll just unbolt the seat bracket bolts, remove the entire assembly, and bolt in a plush 4G Prelude seat (still have to get that done).

Part Two of this project coming soon! (paint + carpeting + install)

Until then, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
92civicvx (06-18-2015), BabyDiesel (06-17-2015), California98Civic (06-17-2015)