Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #401 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Simply incredible OG! I can't wait to see it painted and in action!

You are a blessed man to have the skills and abilities to pull this off

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
OG VX (06-08-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #402 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Thank you sir! I'm doing the best I can over here, but the new jobs got me very busy. Looks like Honda Day is not going to happen for the OG VX. I want to make sure I'm taking my time and that everything get's done correctly.
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #403 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
I hate that you will not be able to showcase your work at Honda Day. Big bummer there. Your VX would get quite a bit of publicity out there, being so different than the norm. I respect your decision to not half-tail your mods

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
OG VX (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #404 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 6/17/15: Sparco Seat + "Auxiliary Table" Install (Part One)

Sorry for the lack of updates of late. Life is really screaming by of late...

So, I ordered a set of Ebay brackets. They came in, and seem to be (surprisingly) decent quality. For the price, I figured I'd give them a shot. The metal, alone, would have cost me more.

However, they didn't fit the Sparco bolt holes. So, got some thick steel, some Grade 10 (some is actually higher grade) bolts in Troutman, NC, and got to work making a solution. Pics below tell the story.

I placed the seat on top of the set-up above, and used a curved-tip pick (pictured below) to carefuly lift off the seat at each corner and make a scratch on the tape where the bolts holes should go. Obviously, I tested to find the best location for the seat before making the scratches. Once I "picked" out the bolt hole locations, I then marked and drilled my holes. Real easy-peasy.

Then added super-strong hardware: bolts, washers, crush washers, and even a super big lug nut was included (solely to serve as a spacer). Final assembly will also include blue Loctite.

Test fit= Perfecto! Not too far up, just the right distance for me from the steering wheel.

And oh, oh, so perfectly LOW! Very happy with the fitment.

I love the fact that this seat has a quick-collapse bar in the rear. Very cool.

Now, the brackets only came as a pair. Pair was $50. Seller would not just sell the Drivers side bracket. So, I had to do something with the other. I got a little bit creative, and decided to use the Passenger's side bracket to handle an issue I've had with the car since day one. I'm sure any EG owner can resonate!

Not only will the "Auxiliary Table" serve as a new, and MUCH improved cup holder for my EG, but it will also host a triple power port (with eco-Green LED's to match the theme), and I will be adding a holder to host a quart of spare motor oil.

No one ever rides with me. When they do, I'll just unbolt the seat bracket bolts, remove the entire assembly, and bolt in a plush 4G Prelude seat (still have to get that done).

Part Two of this project coming soon! (paint + carpeting + install)

Until then, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
92civicvx (06-18-2015), BabyDiesel (06-17-2015), California98Civic (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #405 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
i was just going to say, "what happened with his prelude seats?"

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #406 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I love the new seat. I want one in my car!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
OG VX (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #407 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 6/20/2015: Sparco + Auxiliary Table (Part Two)

Things are now all wrapped up on the Sparco seat install! I drove it around the block a bit and if feels awesome. Very pleased and feel blessed that I found such a great deal on the seat to begin with. I’ll disclose here: I paid $50 for it, due to the rip it had. The rip was a simple fix, and I did showcase how I repaired the rip several updates back. The brackets were $50 shipped for both on Ebay, and the bolts/steel totalled about another $25. Primer and Topcoat paint cans totalled $8.

For the auxiliary table, I used the same paint. The mini console was $8 from Autozone. The dark grey “speaker carpet” was $5 plus shipping for a very large roll, and everything else (headliner spray + SS/Allen head bolts, etc...) I already had on hand. The Sparco pedals ARE real, and though I only paid $16 shipped on Ebay for them (Sparco badging was blotted out in the Ebay post, for whatever reason), they typically retail for around $50 on other online stores. I also bought a Sparco lumbar pillow, which you’ll see in a future post. I paid $20 shipped for it. So, all in all, I’m about $200 in for the interior bits shown in this post. However, I’ve been collecting all of the bits for months, so it FEELS like I paid nothing, ha!

OK...some progress pics. .

Here’s the completed bracket/seat set up, post paint. Paint used was RustoLeum auto primer followed by RustoLeum Satin Black.

Next, I need to include this hole here into my bracket, to hold up the seat belt indicator wiring neatly under the seat.

So, I drilled the hole pictured here:

The final matter to take care of with the seat prior to install was the seat belt buckle. I marked up a hole to drill to hold the mounting tab that holds the buckle from rotating.

Bolted up, and ready to go:

It should be added that blue Loctite was added to all bolts on the seat setup:

Before installing the seat, I needed to install the pedals. They are drill-in pedals. I’ve installed several sets of these types of pedals (JDM DC5/S2000, etc...). They look great, but are always a PITA to drill and bolt up. So, I picked a time in the early morning several days back, and proceeded to sweat it out. Here’s the pics...

After 3 broken drill bits and a bunch of cutting oil (and sweat) later....All done:

Here’s a photo-story of the finishing work completed on the Auxiliary Table:

And here’s the complete Sparco Seat + Aux. Table set-up:

I have much more interior work still yet to do, so I’ll certainly keep updating as I slowly plug along. I regret to report back to you that the glue I used for the headliner sucks!!!!! It is certainly NOT heat resistant, as advertised on the can. Even despite my net tint, a windshield reflector, and the fact that I’ve had the Civic in the garage port for the last 4 weeks, the headliner is sagging in multiple spots. Man, oh man... So, the headliner has to come back out to be hit with a different type of glue I’m struggling to find the motivation, to be honest....Anyway, I’ll get it done!

Until my next post, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
92civicvx (06-20-2015), BabyDiesel (06-20-2015), California98Civic (06-20-2015), vrmouseyd15b (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #408 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Sorry about the headliner, but the rest of it is looking great. What was the glue brand that failed you?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #409 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Sorry about the headliner, but the rest of it is looking great. What was the glue brand that failed you?
Thank you very much! Loctite Professional failed me

After some extensive research, I picked up two cans of the following at Home Depot:

DAP Weldwood Contact Cement

This SHOULD do the trick. Time will tell. Just need to get a cooler day and the time to get this headliner re-wrapped.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #410 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Thank you very much! Loctite Professional failed me
Almost funny that they called in "lock tight" and "professional" and it failed in weeks. Gaaa! Almost funny. I have a can of 3M Super 77 that I used in a patch-up effort, but in reality, you gotta pull these out and redo to get it right, I bet. I'm not satisfied either, but I don't think it was the product I bought this time. You just have to pull 'em out to spray properly. Sorry the product failed you because your work seemed spot-on.

Reply  Post New Thread