View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Moving along the modification trail I have decided to create a tilting one piece bonnet (Hood+Fenders+Bumper+Grill+lights). I really like the engine bay access of a tilting forward one piece bonnet. The modification is actually made really simple with stock Triumph Spitfire donor parts. These parts are all fully compatible with the Centurion as this is the donor platform that the Centurion utilizes.

This modification will make it much easier to perform general maintenance. In the event of a frontal collision or accident it will also make it easier to repair and or replace. So in addition to glassing in the original headlight areas I will also be glassing in the original engine bay opening. Instead of using the tin to close up the engine bay I will use foam which gives us better insulative properties.

The front bumper will not stick out as much in my modified Bonnet. Instead now that I have taken out the flip up headlights I have room to add foam internally. Utilizing foam internally allows me the freedom to give the front a more modern car look that eliminates the gaps in the front. This is what they did with the rear bumper in the Centurion. In fact you can not tell there is a rear bumper at all. I will take the same strategy up front and create an area for the front license plate as well as minimize the engine bay air inlet for better aero.

This will be the first major body modification to Centurion #4 as I am starting with the front and working my way to the back. Once I finish pulling all the wires in the engine bay the bonnet work begins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triumph Spitfire Tilting Bonnet Hardware #1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	18077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triumph Spitfire Tilting Bonnet Hardware #2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	18078  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
changzuki (06-23-2015), Joggernot (06-23-2015)