View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrbc View Post
Once upon a time in the massive number of clicks across the web…

I recall going stumbling upon a diagram of a dirigible (IIRC) in whose tail fins were inflated by a ram air type opening- so more of a parachute than balloon.

The obvious problem being the induced drag of the opening versus the reduction benefit of such a mechanism.

Materials wise it doesn't seem (on the surface at least) much more difficult than a little plastic, parachute type nylon, and a needle and thread.

Anyone seen similar or heard of such?
Obviously exhaust is dangerous. Just saying...BUT, what if the boat tail ran off exhaust, until reaching full size where it would "lock" or "snap" into form- and then the exhaust could come out of a flap in the back, or whatever. Or, design it so the pressure needed to fully inflate is X, and the pressure to release from exhaust/switch to going to rear wake is X+5 (PSI?). Then when you get to the destination, bend the joints back, and let it fold into place. Obviously letting the car idle to inflate would be a poor idea, but if it could be unfolded length wise while driving, or before hand (cities with tailgater's), then it would probably work. I would guess this is more trouble than worth for commercializing, but seems like a reasonable project for some of our more advanced members.

(CRX donkey? I think that's his handle. The one with the BMW tornado bead seats.)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.