Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Once upon a time in the massive number of clicks across the web…

I recall going stumbling upon a diagram of a dirigible (IIRC) in whose tail fins were inflated by a ram air type opening- so more of a parachute than balloon.

The obvious problem being the induced drag of the opening versus the reduction benefit of such a mechanism.

Materials wise it doesn't seem (on the surface at least) much more difficult than a little plastic, parachute type nylon, and a needle and thread.

Anyone seen similar or heard of such?

Last edited by drrbc; 06-22-2015 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: grammar
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I like aluminum battens and sailcloth.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
drrbc (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
I recall going stumbling upon a diagram of a dirigible (IIRC) in whose tail fins were inflated by a ram air type opening- so more of a parachute than balloon.
More likely a Blimp? Losing control without forward motion sounds like a recipe for disaster.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
drrbc (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
More likely a Blimp? Losing control without forward motion sounds like a recipe for disaster.
You'd think, huh? It'd almost be like trying to control a sailboat with no wind!

Can't recall it's construction, but I'm tending to think dirigible because of how that construction contrasted with the rest of the aircraft. Also, on reflection, I'm wondering if it wasn't part of the rudder but dunno.

Last edited by drrbc; 06-22-2015 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: grammar, fuller explanation
Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I like aluminum battens and sailcloth.

regards
mech
I too prefer more rigid construction, but I always imagine what ever the mod is bouncing down the road and into someones windshield.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
ram-air

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrbc View Post

The obvious problem being the induced drag of the opening versus the reduction benefit of such a mechanism.

Materials wise it doesn't seem (on the surface at least) much more difficult than a little plastic, parachute type nylon, and a needle and thread.

I've seen towed targets for military weapons testing which inflate this way,and one boat tail,by Bruce Ruefer of the Lubbock area.I think his patent drawing is given in the appendix of the book,"FAIRING WELL",which is available online for free.It also appeared as a photograph in "ENGINEERING TODAY',published by Texas Tech's Engineering Dept. in 1996.
BamZipPow (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrbc View Post

Obviously exhaust is dangerous. Just saying...BUT, what if the boat tail ran off exhaust, until reaching full size where it would "lock" or "snap" into form- and then the exhaust could come out of a flap in the back, or whatever. Or, design it so the pressure needed to fully inflate is X, and the pressure to release from exhaust/switch to going to rear wake is X+5 (PSI?). Then when you get to the destination, bend the joints back, and let it fold into place. Obviously letting the car idle to inflate would be a poor idea, but if it could be unfolded length wise while driving, or before hand (cities with tailgater's), then it would probably work. I would guess this is more trouble than worth for commercializing, but seems like a reasonable project for some of our more advanced members.

(CRX donkey? I think that's his handle. The one with the BMW tornado bead seats.)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Engine exhaust is corrosive. And the added back-pressure would harm engine performance.

A double-walled envelope (like a U-shaped air mattress) would need less air volume, and could be inflated, as aerohead suggests with an auxiliary fan.

Reply  Post New Thread