View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
xxclaro
EcoModding Lurker

Really need advice

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me out here. I built a trailer last year that I hope to use as a portable refrigerated unit, if I can get it to tow. I started with a tent trailer base, and built an insulated box on it. All went well until I tried towing it...its like having a parachute tied to the truck! I expected it wouldn't be great, but its really not useable as is. The truck(06 GMC 1500 5.3L) will pretty much stay in 3rd gear if I get above about 50mph. I realize the aerodynamics are awful on this trailer, but had hoped that due to it being veryu light and pretty small it would be ok. Its not. The trailer is only about 6x8, but the box portion is just over six feet tall and stands probably 18 inches off the ground. I have pics but can't post till I have a higher post count.

My plan right now is to build a v-nose on to it, as long as possible without interfering with the jack. Considering some sort of boat-tail as well, or maybe a deflector on top at the back? Any help is very much appreciated, as I'm at a bit of a loss here. If I don't get this thing to tow at least reasonably well, it'll end up staying home as a stationary cooler, which would be a waste. My truck gets about 18mpg empty, and towing the trailer empty cuts that about in half. I spent a fair bit of time building it, so I really want it to work. Thanks in advance.