View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 03:56 AM   #40 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

I currently own a 1993 Ford Festiva-the Red Menace has never had AC, manual trans, no power anything, and I don't even think I've turned on the radio in months. It has no airbags, has been rear-ended twice and side-ended once-and in each case I have repaired the body with a dent puller and paint while the opposing vehicles ended up with a tow and a 'Totaled' status...I would buy another barebones like it in a heartbeat and average 45-50 MPG unmodified...but I cannot buy a new one.

That VW Squareback sedan in the photo above? I had one-a 1971 model somebody had painted with Neon Orange paint and a BRUSH! Despite the 3-speed automatic my Daygo Avenger averaged 35-40 MPG without trying after a Slick 50 treatment( I don't recommend this in modern cars but the VW had a wire stainer instead of an oil filter...). I will never be able to buy a new one.

During the late 1990's I purchased a 1979 Dodge Colt for $500. I expected a piece of junk that I could wrench into shape-instead I got a lovely 4 Speed manual RWD with an unkillable 1st-gen Mistsubishi engine, a hatchback that made me wonder if a Timelord had designed it and 40-45 MPG due to low stance and decent aero. When I left Tennessee I sold the car to an associate for $1100 and she thought it an absolute bargain. I will never be able to buy a new one.

I would jump on a brand-new $5000 barebones car in a heartbeat IF it was built sturdily enough-but Labor costs will never allow it as others have mentioned. SO, here's my backup plan...

Step One-scrape together enough cash to OH LOOK IT IS A FLYING PIG SHOOTING RAINBOWS...sigh.

Okay, assuming I ever get Step One off the ground-

(OINK)

Step Two-start with Jory Squibb's Moonbeam as inspiration:

jory squibb

-but find a wrecked Smart Car with a salvageable front axle and transmission, marry it to a reinforced T-shape with an unpowered rear...lower the seating and build a sturdy, light fairing, aiming for a one person vehicle with a removable or fold-down passenger seat behind. The resulting vehicle would have a more narrow stance and even better MPG than the Moonbeam, FWD for better handling, room for 4 bags of groceries and would be classified as a motorcycle which cuts so much Red Tape. The Mercedes motor would likely be more than the Trike needs so I would be looking for a downgrade-a British or German 300CC Diesel motorbike engine if I could get one...just imagine the MPG...

(OINK!!!)

Oh shut up and let me dream, Flying Pig....