Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Would you buy a basic $5000 car?
In a heartbeat 3 5.88%
Yes, but only if it was dependable 9 17.65%
Yes, but only if it had a tiny engine and manual trans 11 21.57%
Depends, not sure, maybe 14 27.45%
No, it would probably be a rolling piece of junk 3 5.88%
No (other) 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Well, fifteen years of repairs may have totaled the MSRP of my Civic.
10 (12? I forget just how long I've had it) years of repairs on a 2000 Insight? About $200: 1 EGR valve, one wheel bearing, and a headlight bulb.

5 or 6 years on the '88 Toyota pickup? 1 alternator, maybe $50, and new front shocks (which are maybe a maintenance item).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
10 (12? I forget just how long I've had it) years of repairs on a 2000 Insight? About $200: 1 EGR valve, one wheel bearing, and a headlight bulb.

5 or 6 years on the '88 Toyota pickup? 1 alternator, maybe $50, and new front shocks (which are maybe a maintenance item).
The longest that I have had any car was the Prelude and I probably paid more per year in maintenance. I have had Bacon for three years, but drove it for half of that time, I am going to stop talking about that car now.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
I've spent around $400 a year on maintenance including new Michelin defenders.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
I've spent around $400 a year on maintenance including new Michelin defenders.
I think you have to figure maintenance differently than repairs, though. Sure, I've done oil changes, put on new windshield wipers, brake pads, tires, and so on, but that's normal & expected for any car - unless you're the sort of person who buys a new car when the ash trays are full :-)
Old 07-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you have to figure maintenance differently than repairs, though. Sure, I've done oil changes, put on new windshield wipers, brake pads, tires, and so on, but that's normal & expected for any car - unless you're the sort of person who buys a new car when the ash trays are full :-)
Everything is a wear part.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Labor costs (which includes benefits)are too high to build a cheap car. That is really the bottom line. That's what drove GM to 'bankruptcy'. And the problem really wasn't fixed.
"The Associated Press reported that, for example, the average United Auto Workers member makes $29.78 per hour at GM, while Toyota pays its workers (most of whom are non-union) about $30 per hour. However, when total benefits (including pensions and health care for workers, retirees and their spouses) is factored in, GM's total hourly labor costs is about $69, while Toyota's is about $48."
Benefits cost more than the hourly average rate of$29.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938

Last edited by mcrews; 07-10-2015 at 09:10 PM..
Old 07-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
I find it interesting that the discussion has been about manufacturers dumping a bunch of R&D money into developing some sort of brand new ultra-cheap car. I guess some have, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me due to the massive investment to overcome (although it overcomes the issue of updated safety requirements).

What I would think, especially for the USA, is you'd take the rental fleet (alternatively called the developing nation export) approach. Keep an old model on the market for as long as possible, and cut as much from it as you can. This could likely (in my head anyway) even be feasible with a larger car than would be possible with a brand new design, overcoming the issue Americans have with small cars.

Basically my vision for a super-cheap car is a Chevrolet "Classic."

If that were the case, I'd probably go with it. I'd expect such a vehicle to be better built and engineered than something originally designed to be bargain-basement.

Otherwise, if we're talking 'built from the ground-up to be cheap,' I'm not sure.

Last edited by The Other Andy; 07-11-2015 at 12:44 AM..
Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

At some point, you run into diminishing returns as to how much car you can make out of "x" amount of raw material, with the R&D already paid for. The Maruti Alto was the example I gave, because it is far, far, faaar past that point... Another car that's possibly there is the Nissan Versa. The Jetta is a likely candidate (simply for the stripping it gets in Mexico to meet the price point it hits in the US).

Hey, the Nissan Tsuru (Sentra to you folks... B13 to any Niss-o-philes on the board) is still on sale in Mexico. That's a car whose R&D were paid off way back in 1996 when it was retired everywhere else. Far as I can tell, it's about $2k less than the Versa.

But:

And then consider it has less legroom than the Versa, poorer fuel economy and truly scary handling... that's pretty much as far down as you can go for a "normal" sized car.... actually, too far down... and it's still way too close to $10k for no discernible benefit over what's currently on offer near that price point. (Versa, Mirage - which also has more legroom... I used to drive a B13), etcetera)

Last edited by niky; 07-11-2015 at 03:22 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
The Other Andy (07-11-2015), Xist (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
At some point, you run into diminishing returns as to how much car you can make out of "x" amount of raw material, with the R&D already paid for. The Maruti Alto was the example I gave, because it is far, far, faaar past that point... Another car that's possibly there is the Nissan Versa. The Jetta is a likely candidate (simply for the stripping it gets in Mexico to meet the price point it hits in the US).

Hey, the Nissan Tsuru (Sentra to you folks... B13 to any Niss-o-philes on the board) is still on sale in Mexico. That's a car whose R&D were paid off way back in 1996 when it was retired everywhere else. Far as I can tell, it's about $2k less than the Versa.

But:

And then consider it has less legroom than the Versa, poorer fuel economy and truly scary handling... that's pretty much as far down as you can go for a "normal" sized car.... actually, too far down... and it's still way too close to $10k for no discernible benefit over what's currently on offer near that price point. (Versa, Mirage - which also has more legroom... I used to drive a B13), etcetera)
Central and South America are a goldmine for this exact sort of thing, I love it. Although I'm guessing the Tsuru is one of the oldest examples.

The relatively high price is curious, but the unknown here is profit margin. I'd bet that it could go lower, but Nissan doesn't see a need to cut the price.

I also wasn't really thinking ancient, but simply keeping a generation or two previous going. The Malibu Classic was the best example I could think of; a new, worse looking Malibu came along and the old one changed its name and was stripped down to continue along for fleet sales. Chances are the R&D was paid off by that point, no need to go back a couple decades. And when the replacement model would get to the end of it's normal life, it could become the new cheapo car.

Actually, as you brought up the Jetta, the Volkswagen City Jetta is probably a pretty good example (perhaps a better example).
The Following User Says Thank You to The Other Andy For This Useful Post:
niky (07-12-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 03:56 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I currently own a 1993 Ford Festiva-the Red Menace has never had AC, manual trans, no power anything, and I don't even think I've turned on the radio in months. It has no airbags, has been rear-ended twice and side-ended once-and in each case I have repaired the body with a dent puller and paint while the opposing vehicles ended up with a tow and a 'Totaled' status...I would buy another barebones like it in a heartbeat and average 45-50 MPG unmodified...but I cannot buy a new one.

That VW Squareback sedan in the photo above? I had one-a 1971 model somebody had painted with Neon Orange paint and a BRUSH! Despite the 3-speed automatic my Daygo Avenger averaged 35-40 MPG without trying after a Slick 50 treatment( I don't recommend this in modern cars but the VW had a wire stainer instead of an oil filter...). I will never be able to buy a new one.

During the late 1990's I purchased a 1979 Dodge Colt for $500. I expected a piece of junk that I could wrench into shape-instead I got a lovely 4 Speed manual RWD with an unkillable 1st-gen Mistsubishi engine, a hatchback that made me wonder if a Timelord had designed it and 40-45 MPG due to low stance and decent aero. When I left Tennessee I sold the car to an associate for $1100 and she thought it an absolute bargain. I will never be able to buy a new one.

I would jump on a brand-new $5000 barebones car in a heartbeat IF it was built sturdily enough-but Labor costs will never allow it as others have mentioned. SO, here's my backup plan...

Step One-scrape together enough cash to OH LOOK IT IS A FLYING PIG SHOOTING RAINBOWS...sigh.

Okay, assuming I ever get Step One off the ground-

(OINK)

Step Two-start with Jory Squibb's Moonbeam as inspiration:

jory squibb

-but find a wrecked Smart Car with a salvageable front axle and transmission, marry it to a reinforced T-shape with an unpowered rear...lower the seating and build a sturdy, light fairing, aiming for a one person vehicle with a removable or fold-down passenger seat behind. The resulting vehicle would have a more narrow stance and even better MPG than the Moonbeam, FWD for better handling, room for 4 bags of groceries and would be classified as a motorcycle which cuts so much Red Tape. The Mercedes motor would likely be more than the Trike needs so I would be looking for a downgrade-a British or German 300CC Diesel motorbike engine if I could get one...just imagine the MPG...

(OINK!!!)

Oh shut up and let me dream, Flying Pig....

Reply  Post New Thread