View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crexcrex View Post
Been there done that, acetone is about as effective as mothballs in your tank................however! methyl hydrate is a rocket additive.......added i liter to one tank of gas to rid myself of water forming in the tank. Here in wonderful wet monsoon British Columbia Canada winter means rain.

Back to methyl hydrate.............they say that the methyl hydrate will ruin the fuel lines..................may be so but it certainly boosted my gasoline to a higher octane rating............some guys use the stuff to pass the air care inspection..............to reduce emissions? then they stuck us with a 2.4 cent per liter carbon tax................

surely methyl hydrate cannot be debunked............
If that's methanol it worked for the model T.

Here's a Wiki article.

Quote:
However, its low energy content of 19.7 MJ/kg and stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 6.42:1 mean that fuel consumption (on volume or mass basis) will be higher than hydrocarbon fuels. The extra water produced also makes the charge rather wet and combined with the formation of acidic products during combustion, the wearing of valves, valveseats and cylinder can be higher than with hydrocarbon burning. Certain additives may be added to motor oil in order to neutralize these acids.