Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
I picked up 4mpg way back when I first got my xfi by trying 3oz of acetone each fillup ~8gal. I did that for about 3 tanks then quit using it. My mileage stayed the same and didn't drop. So I pretty much decided that it is a good injector cleaner for a car with 100k or more on it. It is also cheaper than those little bottles of cleaner.

As far as changing the way the engine burns the gas or whatever. My setup has an audio based knock sensor, wideband O2 sensor and Megasquirt computer with realtime display. I tried acetone again, this time the fuel/ignition systems were already clean and in absolute perfect tune before adding it. Nothing changed at all. No difference in the sound of the knock sensor so the timing didn't need to change and the wideband was showing a still perfect tune. My mileage also didn't change. So that little test also didn't change my mind and I still think it might make a good cheap fuel system cleaner.

So my opinion is that if you average 5 tanks on each part of an A-B-A test that you probably won't see a change, not counting the first tank of B and the second A to let the car adjust if it is obdII based. But if you have a car with a lot of miles or possibly a non ideal tune it might help out some. It is maybe possible it can make the gas burn a tiny amount faster/slower so if the timing is not ideal from factory or just out of tune you might get lucky and the acetone/gas mix can get the car closer to what it is currently tuned for. But tuning the engine and not bothering with the acetone seems like a smarter idea to me

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

forget acetone.........think methyl hydrate

Been there done that, acetone is about as effective as mothballs in your tank................however! methyl hydrate is a rocket additive.......added i liter to one tank of gas to rid myself of water forming in the tank. Here in wonderful wet monsoon British Columbia Canada winter means rain.

Back to methyl hydrate.............they say that the methyl hydrate will ruin the fuel lines..................may be so but it certainly boosted my gasoline to a higher octane rating............some guys use the stuff to pass the air care inspection..............to reduce emissions? then they stuck us with a 2.4 cent per liter carbon tax................

surely methyl hydrate cannot be debunked............

Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crexcrex View Post
Been there done that, acetone is about as effective as mothballs in your tank................however! methyl hydrate is a rocket additive.......added i liter to one tank of gas to rid myself of water forming in the tank. Here in wonderful wet monsoon British Columbia Canada winter means rain.

Back to methyl hydrate.............they say that the methyl hydrate will ruin the fuel lines..................may be so but it certainly boosted my gasoline to a higher octane rating............some guys use the stuff to pass the air care inspection..............to reduce emissions? then they stuck us with a 2.4 cent per liter carbon tax................

surely methyl hydrate cannot be debunked............
If that's methanol it worked for the model T.

Here's a Wiki article.

Quote:
However, its low energy content of 19.7 MJ/kg and stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 6.42:1 mean that fuel consumption (on volume or mass basis) will be higher than hydrocarbon fuels. The extra water produced also makes the charge rather wet and combined with the formation of acidic products during combustion, the wearing of valves, valveseats and cylinder can be higher than with hydrocarbon burning. Certain additives may be added to motor oil in order to neutralize these acids.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Methylhydrate?

I strongly suggest that when you research any particular topic that you state all of the facts rather than select what you may think is appropriate to suit the occaision.

Methyl Hydrate in Model T'S, yes they did actually use it but then again mobil used it mixed with gas in the seventies i think that they called it MTBE, by the way it is also used in race cars gasoline, Methyl Hydrate and nitous Oxide.

What do you think is used in gasline antifreeze. PePsi Cola? was also used in ,Redstone to be precise to reduce combustion chamber temperatures.

I am not saying that it is a good idea to use Methyl Hydrate but it certainly comes in handy in cold climes for frozen gas lines as well as to dissapate water in the fuel tank or perhaps you would prefer walking in snow up to your ears and enjoy thirty below weather.

What i did state was that by adding methyl Hydrate to gasoline on could easily pass the air care by emitting less polutants and that i did note an increase in power. One liter per four gallons of gas unlike acetone which i have used and produced imaginary fuel reduction.

On the other hand Ethanol creates high levels of ozone at ground levels and the cool part is that one of the by products is Formaldehyde so if you are a non smoker get used to the idea that is what you are sucking into your lungs and you don't have to have a cigarette.

As far as I am concerned this matter re Methyl Hydrate is closed, when you research a subject do it well before coming off with what you think is stating the facts. My source try wiki encyclopedia plus i have used the stuff and will again this winter as well as when i have to pass air care and if you prefer that i don't forward a check for 250.00 so i can have a proffesional mechanic do the same whereas it costs me less than three bucks.

MTBE? quite possibly legal in your state............Ethanol? what do you think it does to your fuel lines even at 10 percent? happy motoring.

Subject is now closed

Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
OK

Old 07-30-2008, 03:03 AM   #36 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by crexcrex View Post
One liter per four gallons of gas unlike acetone which i have used and produced imaginary fuel reduction...

Subject is now closed
Oh, come on now...

If ppl want to believe in The Tooth Fairy, The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and Acetone - what harm does it do?

You're a very bad man!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

you are right deuce!

Who am i to tamper with Santa, the tooth fairy etc, i apologize for shattering people's dreams, sniffle, sniffle..........

Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kawi - '04 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
90 day: 56.48 mpg (US)

The Monte - '99 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)

Mazda - '10 Mazda 3i
90 day: 35.15 mpg (US)
This is all very nice, but I'd like to give this a try. I drive a 4-stroke 2 cylinder motorcycle, with a carb. Exactly how pure is the acetone you're using? Is it like nail polish remover or are you getting it from somewhere else?

Closed Thread  Post New Thread