View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
I've been following him for a few years now, and have been gradually changing my habits and how I think about things. Despite how much I like MMM's articles, I largely avoid the forums. A good percentage of the clowns on there are of the opinion that everyone has equal opportunity in this world, and anyone failing financially is completely liable for their own failures, and that aid for people who fall through the cracks of society should be abolished.

It's a useful mindset to apply to one's self (in most cases), that you're really the only one who can help you, but I don't have the social conscience for the rest of it. It ignores people like Chineka, who applied for an office position at the dental office I was working at a few years back, and was denied the position because of her name. "I can't hire someone with a black sounding name, because I have a lot of old, white, possibly racist clients. They'll go elsewhere for their dental care if they hear 'Welcome to X dental, this is Chineka speaking, how can I help you?'". Or, my sister-in-law, who has a chronic illness and has managed to rack up a million dollars in medical expenses by the age of 23, and is medically unable to consistently hold a job.

~

@Xist, that's very subjective. There are cases where the gas cost alone will offset the increase in pay... but that doesn't seem too likely if you're commuting in your HX. There is the time that's lost, but lost to what? If driving is preventing you from blowing money after work every day, you might actually come out financially ahead. Or not. You'll have to run the numbers and consider the opportunity cost lost.

Last edited by Ecky; 07-19-2015 at 04:39 PM..