View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The 84 to 94 "C4" are easy to find, older ones are 'classics'.
An 84 is ideal because the 'crossfire' motor was an orphan.
If an 87+, they have aluminum cylinder heads, and you can probably sell the motor for a good price and get a lot of the money back, even if not running.
That would be a weird but fun project and I think further discussion of it should go into a different thread.

Points to consider: good luck finding a four-cylinder motor already adapted to longitudinal installation. Your choices begin and end with compact truck motors. Hmm, an LK5...

Knowing what I know about it, it makes me think about bolting an AMC 150 into a C4, with an appropriate bellhousing to make the jump. I think it could be done.

Trunk space stinks.

You can find comparable aero with more seats in something a lot more practical. Corvettes cede aero drag reduction to aero advantages, reduced lift or increased downforce.

+1 on switching to something more economical, but making improvements on the cheap to the ride you have is money in the bank, regardless of what you do later. You're already looking at paying certain costs per mile (and big points to you for carpooling), reducing that with your existing car is a huge initial savings. The payback interval on a lawn edging airdam is a couple of tanks, but the payback on a whole different car might be a couple of years.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.