View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #368 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
New Brushes and First Spin UP!

I got some new brushes today!

$50 for four of them from a place that rebuilds motors. They had like a warehouse of forklift motors there!!!

The guy was pretty nice. He told me how to clean the grooves on the commutator and gave me a "commutator stone" as well.

I put in the new brushes.

And then put the whole motor back together again.

I rigged up a 50 amp ammeter to it and then braced the motor on the floor (it could fall off a workbench, and it is REALLY heavy to lift anyways!)

I used one of those portable jumpstarter devices as my 12 volt power source.

I hooked up the jumper cables and.....

IT SPINS!

THE WRONG DIRECTION I THINK!!!!

It also sounded pretty noisy and I could see some arcing from the brushes. I rubbed the commutator stone in there and right away the arcing stopped, it sounded quieter and the motor sped up a little bit.

The ammeter read 25 amps while spinning with no load. That sounds high to me. Has anyone else ever hooked up a big motor like this and checked how many amps it was pulling at 12 volts with no load?

I am pretty sure it is spinning the wrong way. When I bought the motor, I hooked up a 12V source and it barley spun. I actually had to give it a little push to go - but I thought it spun the correct direction!

Do I have to replace the Metro with a Honda? Or just always drive in reverse!?!? (scroll down for "Reverse" lyrics...)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos