View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Dude. You've been a member since 2011. You're on post number 3.

"I never really posted on here but I've been on this site for quite a long time now."

Got it.

Native Minnesotan myself, and I also have a HCHI (first gen). Mine is also a manual.

You have scored so hard landing an extra IMA battery. Cherish it. Mine has gotten steadily worse since I bought the car and since I work for a charity, scraping together the cash for a new one is difficult. The car still functions well and the autostop usually works, so it isn't a crushing blow, but I do miss the turbocharged-like surge of extra torque when I stuck my foot in deep for my longest hill (2+ miles).

My best tank has been about 56.5MPG. Your VX, as you already noted, can do a lot better but as soon as you turn on a couple of accessories, its advantage goes away. The HCH will let you keep the AC on and still deliver decent results, you're completely right about that.

Get some RE92s on it when the tires wear out. They're spendy but you'll get the investment back. I tried some other variety of LRR tires and wish I hadn't. They're okay but a recent loss of economy coincides with the tire replacement and I can't help but think the new rubber is part of the problem.

Look for the presence of that engine undertray. I'll bet it's gone. Mine is. I need to find one and stick it on. That's one of the best places to have a belly pan if you're going to have a partial one.

Definitely consider adding a grid charger when you switch them out, and also a discharger. Gently but thoroughly discharging the entire pack, and then just as gently and just as thoroughly recharging it all the way back up, goes a long way toward keeping the whole thing in good order. I added a grid charger to mine and it helps, especially in winter.

(NOTE: if you do eventually switch packs, PM me with a price on your old one. I could probably Frankenstein the good sticks from your old one with whatever is good left in mine and have a good working pack again.)

I have been cycling the ignition switch for EOC. My longest hill is a pain going to work, but it's a solid two minutes of nearly silent gliding going home. Ignition cycling works well enough for me but you're pretty close to the Twins and all that extra traffic might make that less appealing to you.

+1 on " the 05 is a much more superior car to be in." I have an '87 Pickup, a '98 Forester, and the HCH. It is the most luxurious car I have ever owned by a long, long margin.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 08-06-2015 at 09:16 AM..