Thread: Best Air Filter
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
i run a K & n filter on my explorer, and have had the same one for 106,000 miles. no damage to MAF, no engine problems. only thing i ever had to replace on the motor (excluding general maintenance of course) was a pcv valve and dpfe module (controls egr valve).

had one (same exact one actually) on a ranger i used to own. 175,000 miles, no engine problems.

i didn't notice any mpg gains, and the butt-dyno showed a little better performance. but thats not why i bought them. i love them off-road.

i once got my ranger over the hood in water/mud (little deeper than i thought, oops). engine started running real rough, and i barely got out. so i got to the other side, turned it off, and popped the hood. took off the top (engine side) of the airbox, no water/dirt intrusion. pulled out the filter and water started running out of it (non-engine side). bottom of airbox was full of water. i just set the filter on the roof for about 30 minutes until it dried out, put it back in, no problems. (also pulled the spark plugs and cranked the motor to make double-sure no water got in). added a little oil when i got home.

basically i've driven 2 vehicles a total of around 280,000 miles with 1 k & n filter. and 1 clean/recharge kit. i'm frequently on dirty/muddy roads (every day actually). i'm happy with them, mainly because i didn't expect any kind of performance/mpg gains. i clean/oil them when i can't see any purple (oil) on the (non-engine) side. personally i don't see the point of one on a paved road-only rig, but i dont see it hurting anything.

the way i see it, if YOU feel it was worth YOUR money, then it works for YOU. no point arguing about it.