View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
I brought it to his attention, but felt I couldn't recommend one for one reason: Battery life. Most ads are showing missing bars or avoid mentioning the condition of the battery. It will work for him with his ~40ish miles of daily commuting now even with his heavy foot, but I am not confident it will still work for him in another five years when it has 100k miles without a new battery pack.
I am not a fan of the Leaf. It is a first-gen electric. While I understand that there is pain to go through being 'first' that does not mean that I wish to SHARE that pain. As I understand it, there is no Nissan tech in western Canada that can fix anything but the simplest of error codes on a Leaf.

If you are OK with the styling and the possibility of no access to the car for a period of time if the car requires repair, I would not be too worried about the life of the battery pack. I expect that there are good ones and bad ones, but they appear to be holding up quite well, all things considered.

That said, I'm OK with losing the trunk space for a second and parallel pack, sourced from a wreck. Perhaps most people aren't.