View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by getzfamily View Post
Tried to source some of those tyres you speak of locally but apparently its an older model and we no longer have it (maybe just in Aus?). So will have to delay the tyres.

So this is the first, of what I'm sure will be many, rear wheel arch cover mock up.
I'm toying with keeping the rear of it vertical to try and obtain a "Crease" in the rear of the vehicle that phil knox referred to in a document.
I searched around and found these tires talked about on PriusChat. Might be worth looking into - MICHELIN Energy XM2 Car Tyres | Michelin Tyres Australia

Your rear covers look good! I would caution about not conforming the front to the shape of the body. Wind can get under it and start to shred it off while you're driving and you would never know.

Here is how I did my covers. I made them so that they would follow the contour of the body, very similar to the Honda Insight like cowmeat has.

IIRC they were worth 2 mpg for me, or a 4.5-5% increase in FE at the time.

I know what you are talking about when you say crease. You are looking for a hard break in body angle like is on a Prius. It supposedly helps the air to have a clean break off from the body.

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr