View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
spacemanspif
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
The number of specialty tools required to work on cars and/or proprietary software interface to diagnose problems is part of the added complexity I'm referring to in my previous post. Add to that that carbs aren't that difficult to tune, but I'll concede that doing on a monthly basis is far more work than never needing to tune an EFI engine. Pop the hood on a car built in the last 10 years and if it's anything above an entry-level vehicle, underhood is a plastic cover trying to convince the owner not to remove it and see the complicated mess of wires and hoses running every which way and seemingly designed to keep normal people from doing their own work. My Saturn was EFI and quite simple and I loved that everything was within reach and very much serviceable, fast forward to my Focus and just to change the PCV valve or thermostat, the intake manifold needs to be removed, however, in order to access 1 manifold bolt I have to drop the fan shroud/radiator...which vehicle is more complicated now? Bear in mind that my Focus is rated at only 10 more HP than the Saturn 12 years it's senior and gets worse MPG than the Saturn. My feeling is that if major complication is going to be added to a vehicle it should come with reward of tons of power or incredible fuel efficiency.

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"