View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #55 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 18.73 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
but I thought you said... (quote in reply)
Yes, I did; it was meant with interest toward higher MPG possibilities but I didn't mention in the same post "less wear". Either way, it's something I'd like to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I use synthetic oil and a bypass filter.

Never noticed it to improve fuel mileage but I do go two years between oil changes. The lab says I'm discarding good oil but 30,000 miles on oil makes my old-school nerves hurt.

But a 14 quart oil change with pricey synthetic dictates oil changes are not something you want to do real often.

BTW: 322,000 miles and no wear metal showing in oil analysis.
Thanks. You do EOCing if I recall correctly? I won't have that luxury without a manual transmission, the last rebuild was enough to last a while.

In other news, I learned the rear wheel wells (maybe the front ones too, I didn't look yet) need repaired from rust corrosion. I didn't see it earlier because of the plastic arch covers, thank God they're plastic so I can get them back on easily. I also coated the rear differential plate with POR15 after knocking loose metal off, it was looking pretty crusty.

I have a question: can I pump the front tires to 80 PSI Cold and not have abnormal tread wear? The doorjamb says "55" and I have them at 60 now, I'm beginning to wonder if it just said "55" for passenger comfort and nothing else as the front wheels are closer to the driver.