View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
HowGudAmI
EcoModding Lurker

Clio - '03 Renault Clio 1.5dCi
90 day: 48.94 mpg (US)
Goals and Intentions

Well, I guess I should go a little more into my goals and intentions.

Firstly, I want to keep the car a nice place to be, by that, I mean I will be keeping the standard sound deadening, stereo, rear seats, and using the AC when its hot (though luckily that isn't too often in the UK). I will also be keeping the spare wheel because I don't want to be left stranded with a puncture.

Secondly, I am not sure yet how much in the way of mods I will explore. When we got it, the front wipers needed replacing, so I swapped them for Bosch Aerotwin ones which are a more modern, low profile design (they old wipers are visible in the above photos) - they probably do a tiny bit for reducing drag - but I mainly got them because they are better than stock wipers.

I also fitted some Team Heko wind deflectors, which probably increase drag slightly when the windows are closed - but I wanted some anyway (they reduce turbulence with the windows down, and keep rain off the door card too).

I am not sure what to do with the wheel trims yet, I am thinking about removing them... the question is, are they more aerodynamic than the bare steel wheel?...

The stock ride height is quite high (though body roll and road holding are pretty good), but I doubt lowering the car would pay for itself in fuel savings. Perhaps an air dam would be more effective...

I have also been thinking about a grill block... but am concerned about how this would affect the front mount intercooler and air intake temperatures.

I am currently running tire pressures just a touch over the recommended levels (35psi on the front, 32psi on the rear vs 32/30 recommended). When the tires need replacing, I will be going for a low rolling resistance option, but the current tires have a lot of life left in them.

Lots of things to think about... what do you all think?

Last edited by HowGudAmI; 09-24-2015 at 06:43 AM..