View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 01:49 AM   #319 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Uggghhhhh I hate it when I don't reread my typing! I meant "too big", but you had no way of knowing that...

Specifically, the question I was trying to ask was for you to explain the details behind why the 6.0 turbo is too BIG and what effects would having VGT mode enabled have on my setup? Once again, I'm not trying to be hard-headed, just wanting to know why the answer is no
OK that I understand.

First lets look at the 6.0 turbo
compressor side:
IND whl = 59.10mm
EXD whl = 82.00mm
Trim = 52
A/R = 0.54

turbine side:
Whl dia = 72.50
Trim = 84
A/R = 1.12

A way to get you close to what a turbo will make for power is by the turbos compressor wheel IND size. General rule of thumb what ever the number of the inducer is in mm just add a zero to it. So 59mm = 590 HP.

This turbo is basically a Garret GT 3782 turbo on a different turbine housing.
I have use this turbo on an EVO and know it will make around 600HP.
The turbo at a 2.5 PR with a decent 2.0 L engine will flow around 59 lbs/min
Some rough math...
59 lbs/min * 60 = 3540 lbs/hr
3540lbs/min / 12.5 A/F = 283 lbs/hr worth of fuel.
283 lbs/hr / .50 bsfc = 566 HP
283 lbs/hr / .45 bsfc = 628 HP

So thats cool and everything but keep in mind I know nothing about your engine design, but I would highly recommend some great internals to keep from the engine having a yard sell.

Now for trying to get great FE and HP I would go with something a lot smaller. One thing the 6.0 turbo has against itself when it comes to FE is its internal mass. That is a fairly heavy compressor wheel and turbine wheel for FE at lower rpm. Spool time will be up in the mid rpm range and if you go Atkinson cycle your going to want it to spool at a lower rpm to pull you out of lean burn. I fought this when i was running my FP Red turbo by itself. The FP Red is basically a Garrett GT 3582 with a 8 cm DSM flange/housing.
61.4 mm comp IND
82.0 mm comp EXD

58 mm EXD hot side
68 mm IND hot side

In lean burn you are basically making a lean A/F hole in the fuel map. When i had my Del Sol with the 15g it worked great just enough to make around 1 psi at 22:1 A/F and i didn't have any problems pulling out of lean burn when needed. Now when i went to the larger holset turbo I could no longer make low psi lean burn and it struggled to get past the lean burn hole when just slowly adding more throttle to it. So I would back out of it and push the accelerator down past mid point to let its sweep past the lean burn hole in the map.

Now with the VGT mode it will help with spool but you will still have the large comp wheel and turbine wheel mass. Plus the housing is design for some decent air flow and your 2.0 L will be low on air flow compared to what the turbo was originally design for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (09-30-2015), MobilOne (11-13-2015)