View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #328 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Aerodynamic modifications:
Both side mirrors?
Grill block
Air dam
Belly pan
Wheel covers
Wheel Skirts

Six users posted results for deleting side mirrors, average: 2.58 x 2 = 5.08%
Grill blocks averaging 2.79%
The average air dam listed at yielded a 3.775% improvement.
Belly pan: 3.48%
Wheel covers: 3.16%
Rear skirts: 2.88%

I do not know if air dams and belly pans yield as great an improvement together as used separately, as well as wheel covers and rear skirts.

Two of the rear skirts were on trucks and both commented that they covered a much larger gap than on a passenger car.

However, multiplying those six modifications suggests a 23.1% improvement.

When you removed the seats, upholstery, air conditioning, and power steering, you stated that you removed 115 pounds from a car that you previously wrote was 2300 lbs: 5%.

Didn't you say that you already reduced the weight by two hundred pounds? That would total 12.6% less mass.

The rule of thumb given on here is that for every 2% improvement in aerodynamics or mass, you increase your fuel economy by one percent, so between those two, in theory you increased your fuel economy 18.6%, taking you from 25 to 29.6 MPG. The wiki suggests that increasing tire pressure is good for another percent.

Didn't you also cover your windshield wipers and install side skirts? One user reported 1.5% and 1% respectively for those.

I see 30.69 MPG.

Indeed!

I did not see all of your modifications in your garage. It currently says that you have Mazda tires. Didn't you replace those with spares? What do you have now?
Xist - I will have a detailed answer for you later this afternoon/evening covering all of your questions. My paycheck is calling my name atm, and we both need each other

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (11-13-2015)