View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #88 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
WD40, how is everything working out with your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Slow Driving

Motor Vehicle Act s.145(1)

Many people are unaware that you can be ticketed for driving too slowly. You must drive at a speed that is consistent with the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. The only lawful excuse for failing to drive at a normal or reasonable speed is if it is unsafe to do so or if you are complying with the law. Other traffic does not always move reasonably in the circumstances. You are the best judge of what is safe for you and your vehicle.
Penalty: $121 fine and 3 Driver Penalty Points
You need to judge what is safe for you and your vehicle; you are only allowed to drive slower than "normal and reasonable" if you are observing the speed limit.

They cannot cite you for this if you are maintaining the speed limit?

It is a sad day when Xist needs to step in and summarize something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmick View Post
Since the minimum legal speed in a 55 zone is 35, in every state so far as I'm aware, then I'd expect 45 for a 65.
I looked it up for you!

Quote:
28-704. Minimum speed limits; requirement to turn off roadway

A. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when either of the following applies:

1. Reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

2. The reasonable flow of traffic exceeds the maximum safe operating speed of the lawfully operated implement of husbandry.

B. If the director or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the director or local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which a person shall not drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

C. If a person is driving a vehicle at a speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place on a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe, and if five or more vehicles are formed in a line behind the vehicle, the person shall turn the vehicle off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the director or a local authority, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed.
I had understood that the minimum speed... is it really a limit?... in a 65 was 45, which was why I thought the officer wrote 40-45, but I cannot find any specifics.

I hope that #1 is adequate to avoid or at least beat a ticket if maintaining the speed limit. Otherwise, you could technically be cited for both speeding and impeding traffic!