View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
HowGudAmI
EcoModding Lurker

Clio - '03 Renault Clio 1.5dCi
90 day: 48.94 mpg (US)
Bit of an update here, I refilled my car after 347 miles (though it did have just over 1/3rd of a tank left) - it took 28.31 litres.

That works out at 55.73 UK MPG (46.4 US, 5.07L/100km) - which is about 17% below the car's official UK combined figure - and about equal with what I would expect its US highway rating to be (if it had one).

I am relatively pleased with that as a starting point. The mileage was split up with about 1/3rd motorway (cruising at about 75 indicated), 1/3rd country driving (average speed of about 50, lots of hills etc - had a bit of fun in parts - which was obviously detrimental to FE) and 1/3rd stop start city traffic (5 miles to work - average speed of about 10mph).

Since I last posted, I have changed the diesel filter (where I lost a small amount of fuel) and the cabin and air filters. The wheel trims have also come off - because one of them had split - on the lookout for an aerodynamic replacement (or possibly lighter alloys, if funds allow).

I am hoping to improve on this figure over the next tank. I have already put 210 miles on it (two trips of 104 miles (plus 2 town miles) with an average speed of about 50 for both - 70% motorway at around 75 and 30% country at various speeds - but not much traffic on either). I intend to drop my motorway cruising speed by about 10%, and may also raise my tyre pressures (but they were still the same for the last 210 miles). I am changing my oil and filter soon - using a quality fully synthetic 5w40 (current oil is unknown).

I looked at a grille block, but the intercooler pretty much covers the entire area that is open... so am probably going to leave it.

I have been keeping an eye on temps, my engine tends to run at around 85C and warms up reasonably quickly. my intake temperature runs at around 8C above ambient, which at this time of year means about 15-20C - I am not sure what is best for FE here?

It would be nice to see a 10% improvement this tank, and I still have my sights on the top 10 diesels (perhaps before the year is out?), which means I need to get about 54 US MPG (65 UK, 4.3L/100km).

Also, most of my driving so far has included two people in the car, and also the odd boot full of stuff too!. Going forward, there will be more miles with just 1 occupant and little 'cargo'. I am not sure how much difference this makes but it must be something?

New pics just because:

Last edited by HowGudAmI; 10-05-2015 at 04:20 PM..