Thread: EPA may fine VW
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #99 (permalink)
kafer65
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Volkswagen's had many restrictions in the intake for safety and emissions. The Anti shudder Valve for run away protection, EGR valve and my '04 Jetta had flaps deep in the intake manifold, to induce swirl? All but the ASV would get clogged over time. Sometimes the ASV failed defaulting to closed=no start. There is active metering of a high volume of cooled exhaust gases which restrict and displaced intake volume as well.

Its amazing they still make so much torque with such tiny intake manifolds even when everything is clogged to within a pinky finger's diameter. I enjoy the torque very much but the costs associated with making a more robust drive train to cope with the powerful combustion pulses and mitigating emissions translates into very expensive!

CO2 is plant food! Carbon is the most versatile element for molecules for life! The NOx forms the acid that burns eyes and melts statues. I've experienced the smog that forms in California and near here because of trapped air around mountains. I can't stand the smell of untreated diesel and gasoline but its gone too far when the vehicles become to expensive and complicated to meet the needs of the folks that literally drive are economony.

I thought that selective catalyst reduction (SCR) using urea reduced NOx to N2, water,soot and plant food reducing NOx by 90% as after treatment. Anything bigger than a Jetta had to have that after a certain date and now the Jettas have it too, right?

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html