View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
It's like someone took a verbal description of a Dymaxion transport ("the engine is on a pivoting frame with the single rear wheel") and tried to build it.

I went looking for production figures (I think it must be "one") and found this, w/ additional details:

What It's Like To Drive The Worst Car Ever Built

Quote:
I was able to drive the astounding Hoffmann thanks to our friends at the Lane Motor Museum, whom I asked specifically to find me their worst cars. When they polled everyone and came up with a list, only one car received a unanimous vote: the 1951 Hoffmann.

Of course, I was wildly interested. It helps that the car looks like something that’s very appealing to me at first glance — strange, streamlined, sort of like a zeppelin and a colossal robotic tortoise made angry love. But the more I looked, the stranger things got: odd, asymmetrical curves and details, oddly and seemingly willfully mis-aligned parts and trim, a general shape seemingly designed with either a gleeful disregard or outright contempt for both the human form and the laws of physics.
Faster backwards? And how does that shift linkage work with the whole drivetrain spinning in circles?