View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #152 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by orengomotors View Post
well, catalonian independence is a big problem now, it is always on Tv and it is a constant battle Barcelona-Madrid. Catalonia only did a democratic votations to kwon how many catalans wanted independence and how many not. And from madrid they see that like a criminal act. But this is another subject

going back to aerodynamics, the rounded bottom causes the ground interactions?
so the triumph LSR "motorbike" isn't optimal? So whats best flat bottom with rounded edges or flat bottom with squared edges?

the bottom has to be flat? it can have a diffuser? what angle?
The Me-262 at altitude has the same Cd as the 2.5:1 streamline body of revolution in ground proximity,which suggests,from research,that the Me-262 fuselage in ground proximity would be Cd 0.16,compared to Cd 0.08 for the streamline body.So we're already in trouble with the Messerschmitt.Regardless of what the belly does.
Ive never seen a Cd published for a bellytank lakester,so I don't know the drag contribution of the exposed suspension and wheels.
Mercedes-Benz reported in the 1950s,that their all-enclosed Grand Prix racer,in spite of it's greater frontal area,had 20% less drag than their previous year's open-wheel race car.
A 1980s F-1 body was Cd 0.25.
When wheels were added,the drag went to Cd 0.54.Wings took it over Cd 1.0
The 1987 Oldsmobile AEROTECH Long-Tail was a completely-enclosed March Indycar.I've never seen a definitive Cd published for that car,but I suspect that it's drag was half of the conventional Indycar.
We could use more data.After 40-years I don't have anything definitive to offer.