Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #141 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
From the table below,we find the drag minimum at the bottom of the curve's 'bucket',at a chord to thickness ratio of 3.92:1
ok, so 3.92 it will be!

and the body shape?
whats the optimal body shape for this car?

the subsonic land speed record cars are a good inspiration?

why are those cars so long? the optimal shape of 3.92:1 is shorter.
i'm imagining a car like that but with open wheels. what do you think?

Last edited by orengomotors; 10-13-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

i found some interesting short videos:

Last edited by orengomotors; 10-13-2015 at 12:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to orengomotors For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orengomotors View Post

Good inspiration, but they have different goals than you and because of this, their designs may be challenging to apply to your build.

Aero is the hugely important in land speed racing (LSR). The streamliners tend to be long because they have a lot of stuff to pack in the car (parachutes, fire suppression system, robust cage, drivetrain, etc) while minimizing frontal area. They also want to separate the center of pressure and center of mass to improve stability, and adding length and a vertical wing to the rear of the streamliner helps there.

For the streamliners, I think the most forward thinking designs are a series of cars called the Nebulous Theorem. Costella & Yacoucci's tiny little streamliner, Nebulous Theorem, set a record of 352.525 mph (567km/h) with a 1520cc 4 cylinder.
Worlds Fastest 4 Cylinder Nebulous Theorem II
Jack Costella's Official Website

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 10-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #144 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orengomotors View Post
ok, so 3.92 it will be!

and the body shape?
whats the optimal body shape for this car?

Landspeed legend Breedlove, created an open-wheeled dragster for aerodynamic demo purposes. NHRA used wheel pants for while but deemed it sketchy after several crashes, but drivers swear it did not affect their safety and was not dangerous. http://www.nhra.com/blog/popup.aspx?...PictureId=7769
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #145 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Good inspiration, but they have different goals than you and because of this, their designs may be challenging to apply to your build.

Aero is the hugely important in land speed racing (LSR). The streamliners tend to be long because they have a lot of stuff to pack in the car (parachutes, fire suppression system, robust cage, drivetrain, etc) while minimizing frontal area. They also want to separate the center of pressure and center of mass to improve stability, and adding length and a vertical wing to the rear of the streamliner helps there.

For the streamliners, I think the most forward thinking designs are a series of cars called the Nebulous Theorem. Costella & Yacoucci's tiny little streamliner, Nebulous Theorem, set a record of 352.525 mph (567km/h) with a 1520cc 4 cylinder.
Worlds Fastest 4 Cylinder Nebulous Theorem II
Jack Costella's Official Website
Thank you, you have taught some things to me!
i thought that because LSR aero is focused on reducing drag and improving stability that it was a good idea to apply their shape.
i don't have any idea of how the shape has to be, looking LSR cars i see lots of different shapes, noses and boat tails.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Nice.

http://www.nhra.com/blog/popup.aspx?AssetGalleryId=984&PictureId=7769

Make this an open-wheeler and you're back to a belly tank, with it's problematic ground interactions. Better to start here:

http://www.vmmv.org/tanktk/me262/me262.htm

Not quite a half-body. The bottom is flat for good ground interaction, but the top has a more Gothic than Romanesque arch. Maybe a Gaudi Parabolic arch? Wouldn't this would reduce crosswind lift and improve directional stability.

The question is how you get there from your rectangular chassis. I suggest a look at the Ford Indigo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Indigo

http://i.forbesimg.com/images/2002/06/10/indigo_415x275.jpg
Old 10-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #147 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
Landspeed legend Breedlove, created an open-wheeled dragster for aerodynamic demo purposes. NHRA used wheel pants for while but deemed it sketchy after several crashes, but drivers swear it did not affect their safety and was not dangerous. http://www.nhra.com/blog/popup.aspx?...PictureId=7769
i had never seen a dragster with wheel pants! wow
Old 10-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #148 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Nice.

http://www.nhra.com/blog/popup.aspx?AssetGalleryId=984&PictureId=7769

Make this an open-wheeler and you're back to a belly tank, with it's problematic ground interactions. Better to start here:

http://www.vmmv.org/tanktk/me262/me262.htm

Not quite a half-body. The bottom is flat for good ground interaction, but the top has a more Gothic than Romanesque arch. Maybe a Gaudi Parabolic arch? Wouldn't this would reduce crosswind lift and improve directional stability.
But the first image triumph is very close to ground, there aren't any ground interaction? why adding wheels will cause ground interactions? what are and how they work?
You know Gaudi? it is a very famous architect here!
The soapbox has an hexagonal shape, when seen from front, its an hexagonal "extrusion"
Old 10-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
That's the reason I mention his name. I also admire the Spanish anarchists in the 30s and think Catalonian independence might bring that back.

It isn't the added wheels, it the rounded bottom. aerohead has a chart. Starting from a hexagon section you could add curved lower skirts and get the Indigo shape going. Open front wheels and enclosed back wheels. Maybe with more boat tail.

Edit: Gaudi rant: The world-famous architect did a little-known (until 1956) project for New York city, the Hotel Attraction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Attraction

On the proposed site, the cabal erected a building in the shape of the number 11, with an unusual skin-and-core design almost intended for deconstruction. The site was cleared in September of 2011. The Gaudi design was proposed as an replacement, but instead 'they' chose the Freedom Tower as it more correctly propagandizes 'our freedumbs'. The Gaudi design was a masonry shell that would deflect or crush an airplane, like the Empire State building did in 1945.
[/rant]

Last edited by freebeard; 10-13-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Old 10-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #150 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's the reason I mention his name. I also admire the Spanish anarchists in the 30s and think Catalonian independence might bring that back.

It isn't the added wheels, it the rounded bottom. aerohead has a chart. Starting from a hexagon section you could add curved lower skirts and get the Indigo shape going. Open front wheels and enclosed back wheels. Maybe with more boat tail.
well, catalonian independence is a big problem now, it is always on Tv and it is a constant battle Barcelona-Madrid. Catalonia only did a democratic votations to kwon how many catalans wanted independence and how many not. And from madrid they see that like a criminal act. But this is another subject

going back to aerodynamics, the rounded bottom causes the ground interactions?
so the triumph LSR "motorbike" isn't optimal? So whats best flat bottom with rounded edges or flat bottom with squared edges?

the bottom has to be flat? it can have a diffuser? what angle?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero, low drag, soapbox, streamlined