View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #350 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer65 View Post
I just read through the entire thread! Interesting. Very interesting. I'm very tardy to this party! Oh, and I just saw a silver ZX2 20 minutes ago Its kinda like a Taurus and an insight had chill-wren. The lean burn box and turbo talk definitely caught my attention.
IF I can ever get my '61 Beetle engine back together (waiting on connecting rods) I may get brave enough to eco-mod it. It has EFI running from a 1991 something ECU with the old CB Performance 4 dial box and Schwitzer turbo(very small) on a 2176cc engine.

I have a dial for idle, main, transition, boost. My LM1 wideband quite working but before it did I would run supper rich until I got into boost just past 5 psi and I would run lean. It started out getting 9 mpg! Right before the lifter bore let go I would get 19. Wonder if I can learn something about how to get that thing working better. It only has a turnable TPS, no idle control (I just dial up the idle knob three turns for cold start) and I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator set to 100psi. I locked the timing to max of 21.

Most of the time I drove it around with no more than 3 psi. That had plenty of get up and go. I know a guy with virtually the same setup getting 35 mpg using megasquirt.

My old '87 Dodge had a lean burn computer that worked with a Carter carb and just adjusted timing upwards of 50+ degrees I'm told so I'm hitting many of the things you've gone over here including pressure washing carpets and mission trips. Keep it coming!
Thanks for the kind words kafer! The party is always open here in the Ecoscort thread

I'm no expert on tuning, but your timing and fuel pressure seem way off. The ZX2 is running 21* timing at idle. And if you are running 100psi fuel pressure, then I can see why you are running rich! Your car should not need much over 50 psi FPR, and the timing needs advancing. Just my perspective and trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
Glad to hear that things are starting to jive with the old lean burn box :-)
Just takes some time to get used to driving with it and learning it's quirks.
It sounds like it's performing exactly like it did on my car. I'm sure you will be able to squeeze a 60mpg tank out of it in ideal conditions...however winter is hard on lean burn, or at least it was for me. You can see the large differences in the summer mpgs and winter mpgs in my fuel log. Lean likes hot weather. If you haven't already, it's time to get a trans pan, oil pan, block and radiator heater hooked up! I had about 1400watts of heating power and came out to a 100-120 degree engine in the dead of winter. This would allow me to go lean less than a mile from my house.

Also wondering why you went with a 99% grill block? I found that a full grill block was costing me mpg's over having a half license plate sized hole (I also had it ducted to help keep the air flowing past the radiator and trans cooler. The radiator fan cycling is what cost me mpg's. It would come on every couple miles and foul my lean burn burn by loading the engine more than what I could maintain a nice 16.5:1 AFR.
I'll be purchasing all the heaters you listed before too long! I think (based purely on speculation) that pre-heating can be worth up to 5 mpg on my car.

I'm assuming you did not go lean until you reached operating temperature? I'm in lean burn mode less than 1/2 a mile from my house, always. This means coolant temps of 90-100*. The engine does not make good power during this time, but it works for my flat landed area. I'm cruising between 40-50 mpg from the 1/2 mile mark onward, with mpgs slowly following the coolant temps up. As always, YMMV

There should not be a potentially damaging scenario during this time, right?

I went with the 99% grill block because my car simply would not get warm with the 75% grill block and for better aerodynamics. After removing the A/C condenser and rigging a piece of coroplast along the open side of the radiator so it directs all the air through it, my coolant temps were lucky to reach 200 by the time I finished driving 30 miles! Right now, it takes over 15 miles of driving for the fan to come on (220*), and then it does so regularly about every 3 minutes. I really need to make an adjustable grill block...

What you said about the fan coming on ruining your lean burn has me concerned. I still don't think I am running that lean, because I have good power and can even accelerate from a stop! The fan does nothing to my load or lean burn... grrr, I need that wideband installed ASAP!!!

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr