View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 03:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
SDMCF
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The important thing is to have a warm windshield. For that you need a good defroster. For that plugging in an engine heater and having a grille block and an engine blanket are the best things to do, along with perhaps a safely positioned plug-in space heater aimed at the windshield before departing.
Agreed, where it is possible to plug in engine & cabin heaters. Here, most homes and many work place car parks have power sockets for this purpose and it is by far the best solution. There can be times when this is not possible though. Perhaps you need to park in the middle of nowhere all day, so no electrical engine or cabin heater. Then it is worth trying alternative solutions.

My heated washer bottle worked, but not well enough for me to repeat the experiment. I don't believe heated nozzles could be even as effective as my heated bottle. I have also tried Webasto solutions to heat up before starting the engine using the car's own battery, but it is all too easy to drain the battery for little gain.

Not sure there is a universal solution.