View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 04:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
SDMCF
EcoModding Lurker

Oh that's interesting. I have tried both with mixed results. My experience has been:
Grill block certainly helps a lot with faster warm ups but I have not seen it measurably reduce engine cool off when parked.
An engine blanket can help with cool off when parked for shortish periods, but not if the car is parked up for a few hours. However I had only considered the effect of a blanket on reducing cool-off of a warm engine and have not evaluated its effect on warm-up times for a cold engine.

I use a grill block but no longer bother with a blanket because in my use I rarely park the car for short enough periods for it to make much difference to engine cooling whilst parked. Do you think it is worth trying again and checking for faster warmup for a cold engine?

I too like the idea of a thermos hot coolant storage system but it is a bit beyond my fabrication skills. However I have been considering an insulated hot coolant storage system using household insulation rather than a vacuum - but for our current vehicles I have not worked out how to get this past the "acceptable to wife" test.