View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
EXCELLENT.

I've been wanting someone to do this for some time now. The open space above that wheel is just ridiculous. There have been a couple of other users here that went whole hog but I didn't catch them at the outset, so they were already well on their way when I noticed them. PLEASE make a garage page for your truck so everyone can see how it improves!

You could probably fab up some skirts to close off the huge gaps above the steering wheels. They don't need all that space either.

Absolutely add some metal to the loose edge of your rear skirts. You aren't the first guy to notice that flapping, and the others that did notice it were working on a MUCH smaller scale. I think a strip of aluminum will do.

NOTE: I think you could add more aluminum than you strictly need, and use that to splice in some more coverage. I bet you could bring your coverage further down over the wheel with no ill effects.

On my Honda I have a vinyl skirt over one wheel - mostly I'm just leaving it to see how long it lasts, over six months so far - and its clearance is about 1/4". Obviously your rear suspension is way different from mine but I doubt if it shifts around too much, you can probably get closer than you are and still be clear.

I wouldn't worry about the bowing. It's a long, smooth curve, so flow should stay nicely attached. It's one hell of a lot better than it was before, anyway.

Pan any part of the underside that you can. It's an aerodynamic mess under there, all kinds of crap just poking every whichaway. I think virtually anything you do has the capacity to make it better. Foremost and rearmost improvements will have the greatest effects, but the ones at the middle of the truck will likely be easiest to do.

Paint the coroplast black and no one will ever notice it. Or don't, your call obviously. Maybe you'd like more people to notice it, ask questions, maybe make improvements to their own rides.

I bet it comes out quieter.

SUBSCRIBED WITH A BULLET.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.