View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
klrv6
EcoModding Lurker

Sandstone Princess - '99 Chevy Sububan LT
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)

Joe - '02 Nissan sentra XE
90 day: 43.9 mpg (US)

Regal - '03 buick Regal LS
90 day: 33.85 mpg (US)
It's not every person on this forum, just a few, not all of them are in this post.

As for the original post about someone selling their metro to get an SUV, who could really blame them? Which do you think has a survivability rate when involved in the same type of accident? A metro or SUV. Although it really doesn't say what kind. It could be a new tahoe that beats the camry for city mileage.

I know over on SUV.com there are many owners who total their suburbans and turn around and buy another one. There was one poster who put up pics of a wreck where his 2500 suburban was t-boned @ 55mph by an f150. the Truck driver ran a red light and didn't survive but, the posters wife and three kids walked away. Sometimes it's things like that which put driving a smaller, outdated (safety) car into perspective.

My take is that if it doesn't have airbags, I don't need to be driving it. It's more of safety technology that goes into the design of cars produced in recent years. Is it really worth a few mpgs? I have obtained very good mileage with my suburban and really don't fit into the stereotype of "SUV driver" like so many people portray. Does anybody here know what other GM platforms have interchangeable parts with a 2wd suburban?

If you look at pure efficiency, we are all hypocrites for even driving a vehicle. Unless it's charged by solar energy, we have room to improve.