View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 11:57 PM   #2269 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
It works good without a shield as long as there is some distance away from the unwanted currents. They fall off REALLY fast. Something 1 inch away has almost no effect when compared to 0.0625" away. And currents that are perpendicular to the current you are measuring don't have an effect either. I remember, with a 0.125" thick daughter PCB right on the bus bar, the current sensor range was about -1200amp to 1200amp. A 0.0625" PCB gave a range of maybe -300amp to 300amp or something like that. At 0.5" away, you could probably measure -10,000amp to 10,000amp. So, if there is a spurious current 1 inch away, even if it's a few hundred amps, it's not going to have much effect.
That sound very easy - very DIY.

So, calibrated daughter board thicknesses directly tied to the output pin would give reasonable results. Real accuracy could be dialed in by programming the Melexis IC's and the AtoD results. That sounds great.

If I run into any issues with interference, I could provide a general purpose shield design, which could use normal, easy to obtain steel and be easy to make with tin snips and a hand drill.

Excellent! Maybe this is the "easy" solution and just using the Melexis IC would work for all cases. This would save both design trouble and board real-estate.

- E*clipse