View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #385 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMods View Post
I appreciate all of your advice thus far. In your opinion with the current set up (a non-performance small turbo that is designed more for fuel economy and to make a gutless 1.4 feel like a V6), should I really have to worry about burning a hole in a piston or creating a hot spot even if the the fuel mixture were to lean out for a little bit? Or is that only seen on high performance vehicles?
There is always an risk.

The fuels octane and engines compression and ignition timing advance, all play a major role in keeping the combustion in check. Its a lot of trial and error.

What I have found is that on a turbo engine you need the the intake charge to be cool to keep from detonating when runinng lean. The cool air keeps combusting temps down and the air itself is now the main thermal management system instead of the stock fuel rich condition.

Also on my car I had to adjust the boost levels as winter is here. This Summer I was at 12 psi at 20:1 with my IAT temps at 90*F, now I'm at 10 psi at 20:1 with my IAT temps around 50*F while making the same power as I did this Summer.

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
deanznz (11-04-2023)