View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Hummer h-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Thanks for posting that AeroHead.
I like the Rumpler as a good example of what you can do with an upright windshield.
With a plan taper, you can still get a good Cd.
I was thinking the other day of how that a Hummer could be redesigned to appear recognizable as a Hummer with its' trademark upright windshield, yet have excellent aerodynamics.
I did a sketch of what I had in mind and despite having a recognizable form, I think it could still be quite aerodynamic.

Phil, you are quite a good artist. If you feel up to it, would you consider sketching out a design like that yourself ?
Seems like the Cd 0.70 H-1 could easily go to Cd 0.35 with edge rounding,gap closures and subtle shape optimization.Especially the military 'fastback' version.
I've streamlined them in my mind,but a rendering I've never done,and my plates pretty full for the next year ahead.
The Chevy Colorado was around Cd 0.40 and shared the same chassis as the Cd 0.51 HUMMER H-3,so we know there's some fruit hanging on those HUMMER trees.
But (horrible English!) the demographic who's purchased a Hummer probably would consider a streamlined version of any kind,an abomination and recoil in horror from it as bad as the men folk of 'The Simpson's' Springfield,when a Prius came down Main Street,and guys dove into the bushes to shield themselves from what would certainly rob their manhood if they were to look at it directly.