View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Okay, some updates:

The IMA pack finally arrived from the seller in Ohio. He packed it very thoroughly and everything looked in excellent shape. No pictures of the box or the unpacking, though I made my Dad who is visiting open the box. Dad custom-makes boxes specifically for when he ships things, and while his stuff always arrives in good condition they're notoriously difficult to open. It kept him busy and happy for a few minutes.

Son #2, I and Dad all spent a few minutes last night swapping the packs. Mostly it's just cumbersome, heavy parts in cramped confines.

Hooked up the grid charger and left it on overnight. Pack started at 155v.

Unplugged grid charger this morning showing 175v on the input. That's a bit lower than I hoped.

Started the car. Fired up on the IMA motor, so that's good - it means I remembered to turn the pack's breaker ON.

12v charging warning light was ON. Hmm.

IMA SOC array bottomed, but climbed to full after a couple of minutes.

IMA light was still ON.

CEL light was still ON.

I'm not surprised about the CEL light. I have a cooked O2 sensor somewhere and insufficient kung fu to figure out which one. I'll take it to a shop eventually. Maybe ream out the EGR valve too. I can do that at home though.

I had hoped the IMA light would go out after a few minutes. No such luck.

The 12v warning goes out above 1400 rpm. This gives me some hope, it suggests the IMA pack is simply too out-of-balance to allow the DC-DC converter to do its thing. Another night of grid charging may wrench it back to where it belongs.

I'm reading everything S Keith has to say about it, him and Snikrepretep. I hope I haven't bought a pig in a poke.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 11-20-2015 at 09:19 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-20-2015)