View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,711 Posts
Quote:
Elk inhabit forested areas at high altitude within a range where a water source is nearby. They prefer the higher elevations from 7,000 to about 10,000 feet which is referred to as their "summer range". They will migrate to lower elevations during the winter when heavy snow forces them to seek lower ground. Their typical habitats include the White Mountains area, the Mogollon Rim and the Kaibab Forest.

Herds can commonly be seen in the areas around Flagstaff, Williams, Payson, Heber Overgaard, Show Low, Pinetop Lakeside, Greer, Alpine and generally any forested area.
Quote:
When you drive through forested country, always be on the lookout for elk. Every year there are many incidents of elk suddenly leaping onto roads and even freeways. At a weight of 800 to 1,200 pounds, those type of accidents can cause serious damage and can result in fatalities.
Arizona Elk

Mom lives in Show Low and Payson is about halfway, so I consider myself "safe" between Phoenix and Payson. They also generally come out at night, so as long as we drive during the day, we should be okay.