View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #2421 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
When considering the use of the CAN protocol, be aware of security too. CAN is what those hackers used to take control of numerous cars. You are talking about critical propulsion control systems here. Yes currently small scale-low value targets but still. Security MUST start at the beginning or it will never be added at the end. Sure the worst of the hacking was because a certain manufacturer had the cellular enabled mobile entertainment system and the ECU and everything else cobbled together.
Totally agree w/ Piotrsko. CAN itself isn't the problem, any more than if USB or ethernet were used to transmit the information. From what I've found, it's the wireless interfaces that are the main problem. Yes, infotainment systems with "conveniences" such as the ability to use your I-phone to monitor your cars performance are obvious weak points. However, there are more hidden ones, like the Tire Pressure Monitoring system. It actually uses little wireless transmitters to provide tire pressure for the main system. These have actually been used as gateways for hackers to take over the car's control.

That, in a nutshell, is why I won't have wireless anything connected to my control system. If someone wants to hack my car, they must have a physical wire connection. Also, in the philosophy of KISS, I think all primary controls should be discrete connections. Inter-computer bus communication arguments shall have no place in my car when I'm pushing it to it's limit. Of course there still are failure modes like EMI interference and the wire shorting/breaking loose.

I want to be dead certain that when I'm running away from the zombies after the apocolypse, that they can't just use an I phone to turn my racecar into a golf cart.

- E*clipse

The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
Thalass (12-01-2015)