View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
...how about a Webasto coolant heater...
Yes, there was another long thread about using a heater like that in the iMiEV. It seemed like the general consensus was not that liquid fuels were "evil" or anything like that, just that gasoline engines aren't an efficient design. Many people seem to feel that using gasoline or diesel is a completely APPROPRIATE use - for heat! On guy installed an inexpensive no-name version of that same heater and has had very good results with it.

I think it's actually a very good HYBRID approach. Use an electric drive-train for the transportation, and liquid fuel for heat. Sort of like the early days of gas cars, when they didn't really catch on until gas cars borrowed the electric motor and invented the "starter".

E-85 is also cheap and readily available in my area and I have a friend who brews his own straight ethanol for transportation use. I'm sure that two gallons from him every winter would be no problem.

The car is still under warranty through this winter. I think I'm not going to immediately mess with it (as we are supposed to have a mild winter anyways) until the end of next summer, then go wild with winter prep.

I'd also like to insulate the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
...rip apart a junk yard seat and get a heating element out...
There's plenty of inexpensive aftermarket seat heaters available. I bought one for $25 for the passenger seat. I haven't installed it yet. I've been told that removing the seat sets off an airbag warning on the dashboard that can only be reset by the dealer. I'm trying to figure out a work-around, so I can still take the seat out to remove the upholstery and install the seat heater.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos