View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #138 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Though I do think it would make sense to redefine the mile as 6000 feet (nautical mile), or 1000 paces...
How about 3280.8 feet?

I work in a business that manufacturers equipment in multiple countries. The metric vs standard dimensions is a significant hurdle to try to overcome. We try to design products that can be produced both in Europe and in the US, and it is very difficult to get parts to fit together when it could be made from either 3/16" x 1-1/2" or 5 x 40mm bar stock, for example. Many times, it's simply not possible.

Our country has an enormous infrastructure for providing materials in standard sizes to go in products designed to use these standard size materials. Our steel and aluminum industry will have to replace all of their dies. Our manufacturers will have to redesign all of their products that use these materials The legislature can wave it's magic wand and change the standard we use, but it's going to take a lot of time and money to shift our manufacturing over. It's not as simple as just changing the MPH signs on the freeways.

I'm all for it, but I'm not naïve enough to believe it will be quick or easy.

I find it a little amusing when our European engineering team specifies metric rivets, and they are 3.2 or 4.8mm. So strange that they don't come out to a nice, whole number like all the other metric fasteners.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods