View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #71 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
That method of towing should work as long as the steering isn't locked. I can't imagine how dirty the toad would get if one did drive on a dirt road. Not bad with a dirt bike or a normal enclosed car but a loosely cabined car would be a disaster inside. I thought my hi-lo camper seal was sufficient until I drove 10 miles on a really dusty road. It was bad inside.

My motivation for even thinking about this is how cool cruising the Arcimoto around Yellowstone park would be. Tow a Basecamp up there with 15-20 mpg then break out the Arcimoto for day trips around the park. Whenever we go to Yellowstone we put more miles driving around the park then we do driving there and back.

Edit- that makes me think of a great business. Renting these things in busy national parks like Yellowstone, Glacier, and Yosemite. The traffic is already bad and parking sometimes a premium. The view and scenery would be much better and speeds are reasonably slower and safer. Yellowstone would have a bit of a problem breaking them as drivers take them off the edge of the road. Rangers have been enforcing no stopping in the road which has lead to bad drop offs on every shoulder as cars pull off for every animal photo op.

Last edited by Hersbird; 12-17-2015 at 04:11 PM..