View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #171 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 53.82 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, when you consider that the metric system is over two centuries old (and, as has been pointed out, has numerous inefficiencies in everyday use), let us wait for a newer, more efficient one to come along :-)

Now when was I singing praises? I simply stated well-known facts of economics: the European (and Japanese) economic resurgence after WWII was in large part due to the more modern replacement infrastructure. It may not be kind, gentle, or good, but life is often like that.
Oh, so you are willing to change after all. It is just that the metric system isn't good enough? What other system would be acceptable then?
Let me guess... Something like what you are used to?

You don't get the economics thing either, do you? We lost the tools to repair the damage and the people that were needed were either dead or starving by the end of the war. But we probably should not complain too hard, because the Eastern European countries have seen even worse atrocities and destruction.
And indeed we were thankful for the Marshall help, without that (and the benefits of the metric system, of course) it might have taken another decade extra.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.